From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swap on ssd?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:20:52
1 On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:48:58 +0800
2 microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > 2012/11/26 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>:
5 > > Am Montag, 26. November 2012, 08:23:44 schrieb William Kenworthy:
6 > >> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 00:02 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 > >> > Am Montag, 26. November 2012, 06:46:28 schrieb William Kenworthy:
8 > >> > > Has anyone tried swap on ssd? - has it killed the drive
9 > >> > > prematurely? - any other effects?
10 > >> > >
11 > >> > > I have a system that is maxed with with 4G ram and tends to
12 > >> > > use swap heavily at times which slows things down ... so I am
13 > >> > > thinking a small ssd might help here.
14 > >> >
15 > >> > you know what helps even more? replacing those 4g with 8g.
16 > >>
17 > >> I would if I could - physical max is 4G ...
18 > >>
19 > >
20 > > so the 4gb are sitting on the mobo itself? Or are we talking about
21 > > some system from the bronze ages which does not accept sticks
22 > > bigger than 512mb - and you put 8 into it?
23 > >
24 > > either way, new board+8gb will make you happier than a destroyed
25 > > ssd.
26 >
27 > I suggest 16G if you'll buy next year. KDE will eat 2G itself. :)
28
29 No it won't.
30
31 The mere fact that you even typed that is absurd.
32
33 KDE, like most sane software, will use ram intelligently. If you turn
34 on semantic-desktop, akonadi and all the other bells and
35 whistles, it may appear to consume a lot of ram, but that's simply
36 because the software doesn't bother releasing the stuff when there is
37 oddles of it still left unused. Run KDE on a ram-tight machine and you
38 will see it uses nothing like what it uses on this here 16G notebook.
39
40 top will list krunner with something like 1G in the VIRT column, but
41 that doesn't mean krunner is actually using 1G, it means krunner may
42 *access* huge amounts of data in ram, and that total (here at least)
43 happens to be about 1G. This is because krunner can look at contacts,
44 current time, mail, calendar and $DEITY only knows what else to be able
45 to list them all in a cute plasmoid. It doesn't *use* anything more
46 than what KDE is already addressing, it just happens to be able to see
47 into it.
48
49 KDE (latest) runs just fine on 512M netbooks thanksverymuch
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com