From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:31:03
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 1:07 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 2:30 PM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Am Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 01:07:43PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
6 > >
7 > > > Mostly, I need a better CPU. If I encrypt anyway.
8 > >
9 > > Did you ever tell us the exact CPU you have in there? All I can
10 remember is
11 > > it has 4 cores. And some AMD processor with a II in its name, but that
12 was
13 > > you main rig, right?
14 >
15 > What encryption algorithm are you using? You should see if this is
16 > hardware-accelerated in the kernel for your CPU, or if not if there is
17 > another strong algorithm which is. Most newer CPUs will tend to have
18 > hardware support for algorithms like AES, and the kernel will use
19 > this. This will greatly improve CPU performance.
20 >
21 > I've run into this issue with zfs on Raspberry Pis. ZFS does the
22 > encryption internally, and the openzfs code didn't have support for
23 > ARM hardware encryption the last time I checked (this could have
24 > changed). I found that dm-crypt works MUCH better on Pis as a result,
25 > as the kernel does have ARM encryption hardware support.
26 >
27 > Again, this all depends on the algorithm. If you're using something
28 > exotic odds are the hardware won't handle it natively.
29 >
30 > --
31 > Rich
32
33 Great background info Rich. Thanks.
34
35 If Dale would supply us with the first few lines of the following command I
36 think it would help
37
38 mark@truenas1:~ $ sysctl hw
39 hw.machine: amd64
40 hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
41 hw.ncpu: 4
44 Note that hw.ncpu isn't actually cores but rather threads. My
45 processor has just 2 cores.
46
47 I don't know how to get the CPU flags on FreeBSD nor
48 how to determine if encryption is hardware or software
49 based on TrueNAS. Given some time I might Google
50 that.
51
52 Cheers,
53 Mark