From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] viewing .m4v files with totem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:46:34
1 On 9 Jul 2010, at 02:50, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > How should I view .m4v files with totem.
4 > Is there a gst-plugin or a use flag for gst-plugins-meta?
5 >
6 > I have used the following, which "works", but the video quality is bad
7 > ffmpeg -i file.m4v file.avi
8 > totem file.avi
9
10 Hi there,
11
12 I was been reluctant to reply earlier, because I'm not a real expert
13 on the subject, but .m4v is a *container format*, as is .mp4
14 and .avi. .avi is actually a poorer one.
15
16 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m4v
17
18 I believe any of these containers can contain a variety of video /
19 audio *codecs*. There are still loads of files floating around which
20 use old Windows-centric codecs, but h264 is becoming the most common
21 video codec. A container might contain the audio as MP3, AAC or
22 something else.
23
24 So it's not clear from just saying "convert from one file format to
25 another" whether you converted the audio &/or video from one codec to
26 another (known as "transcoding") or whether you just took the existing
27 audio &/or video and simply put it in a different container (known as
28 remuxing, I believe). A few minutes of video in an undemanding codec
29 might be transcoded to shitty quality in a matter of minutes, nearly
30 as quickly as remuxing a large video. The latter would depending on
31 the speed of your disk / filesystem, but remuxing is a little slower
32 than copying the whole multi-gigabyte file - that takes a couple of
33 minutes around here. To transcode a full DVD to highest quality h264
34 might take 18 or 24 hours (on a Pentium 4).
35
36 As far as containers as concerned, .mp4 is a pretty good one. I
37 _think_ that .m4v is very similar, but I can't swear to it. .avi is
38 rubbish, but it's the default interim container for some converters -
39 I think that mplayer / mencoder, for instance can produce technically
40 invalid .avi files that won't play on some systems, but it does that
41 because it assumes you know what you're doing and will remux them
42 to .mp4 afterwards (using mp4box, for instance). .mkv is a container
43 that is becoming very popular because it supports modern codes like
44 h264/AAC but allows you to store multiple tracks within the container
45 - Dolby stereo audio, 5.1 audio and a director's commentary, for
46 instance, each of which may be in whatever codec you like. There is a
47 shortcoming of of .mkv which applies to older systems with slower
48 disks, but probably shouldn't apply here; if you can, use .mkv.
49
50 I believe you should try using this command on the file:
51
52 mplayer -vo null -ao null -identify -endpos 1 myfile.m4v
53
54 This should tell you more about the codecs in which the content are
55 encoded. Feel free to post the output here.
56
57 You didn't show us what the output (or verbose output) of your ffmpeg
58 command was, so we don't know if the original .m4v had shitty quality,
59 or if you transcoded it.
60
61 It's also worth checking the USE flags for all your video-playing
62 applications - I enable at least the aac, h264 and mp3 USE flags on
63 any new system, but I think Gentoo ships with them disabled by default
64 because of licensing / patent / Freedom issues in some major
65 jurisdictions.
66
67 HTH,
68