From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia w/ water cooling?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:12:17
1 Jerry McBride <mcbrides9 <at> comcast.net> writes:
4 > Would you know if there are any gotcha's with using SLI video cards? It seems
5 > this is getting harder and harder to avoid with current motherboards... From
6 > what I understan (yuk yuk) the SLI video looks just like AGP cards. Sound
7 > right?
10 Hello Jerry,
11
12 >From my research, SLI is where the video cards get power driectly from the
13 the power supply, instead of drawing power via the buss/motherboard.
14
15 http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_ask_mmm001.html
18 As far as monitoring the output voltages and ensuring that the current draw
19 of the video card, does not cause 'voltage sag' on that part of the power supply,
20 choosing a power supply that puts out lots of (DC) amps to the video card
21 in very important.
22
23 I'm also concernded with monitoring the fluid temperature, pump (voltage and
24 current draw) to ensure a safe working system.
25
26 One nice thing about the Nvidia 8800, is a *lifetime* warranty.
27
28 That said, I think I'm going to continue my research on water cooled PCs
29 (many are put together by companies that do not have a clue how to properly
30 monitor pumps and fluids) until I'm convinced I have a robust, linux friendly
31 solution.
32
33 Since a big part of my needs is to write custom software utilizing the
34 GPU as a specialized processors, I'm going with the ATI 1900, due
35 to it's support of open-source drivers and it's unmatched performance
36 for certain types of calculations:
37
38 http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html
39 http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/11/14/amd-launches-stream-
40 processor-accelerator-board/?url=http%3A%2F%2F
41 www.tgdaily.com%2F2006%2F11%2F14%2Famd_stream_processor%2F&frame=true
42
43 What confuses me, is that close source nvidia has a "C" software
44 development kit:
45 media-gfx/nvidia-cg-toolkit
46
47 Yet the open-source ATI technology, does not have similar
48 compiler kit, but, provides lots of informatino into the details
49 of the hardware, particularly useful for string-matching, searching
50 and sorting intensive types of algos.
53 Real confusing on which graphics card to choose for coding.
54
55 Also note, for those interested in video (Mpeg4-avc/h.264/x.264)
56 recompiling code and standard optimiztion techniques can really
57 make video deliver systems, based on gentoo, *FLY*.
60 Last, if you are looking for an AM2 && SLI && Sata mobo, then here
61 is the best prices/performance board I have found:
62
63 http://www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1993
64
65 Like Richard stated previously, much needs to be tested
66 under linux......
69 hth,
72 James
78 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list