From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye, Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:20:24
1 On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
5 > On 27/5/2011, at 12:28am, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > > ...
7 > > * Two XEON chips. I didn't know it right away but that means 4 cores.
8 > They are old Pentium IV-based 32-bit chips. I got the slowest still being
9 > made, so the clock speed is 1.6 GHz. On 4 cores, it's not bad at all.
10 >
11 > I *think* at that age those may be single-core hyperthreading chips, which
12 > would nevertheless show in (for instance) `top` as 4 cores. I won't swear to
13 > this, though.
14 >
15 > Stroller.
18 > Actually, you're right. I got two chips so I could work with "real"
19 threads and thread control. The hyperthreading was a surprise, and might
20 have done quite as well by themselves. Anyway, it still works fine and the
21 only thing likely to make me upgrade is that the card slots are all PCI-X
22 low voltage (extra cutout in the connector). As time goes on I'm going to
23 want to add things, and I may wind up with a new mobo fairly soon.
27 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD