From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:41:19
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2011-09-18 21:52, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> The kernel configuration process is actually very nice and very easy.
5 >> You an remove any features you don't want or need. (I'm referring to,
6 >> e.g. menuconfig. I haven't really used genkernel)
7 >
8 > I've never used genkernel and always compile my own kernels...
9 >
10 >> FWIW, PulseAudio predates Windows Vista, Windows 7, even MacOS X. I
11 >> ran it on a 200MHz machine back when it was called Enlightenment Sound
12 >> Daemon.
13 >
14 > Hm... I've used ESD (years and years ago :-) ) in OSS times. Not sure
15 > where the connection between ESD and Pulseaudio is though[1]... Well,
16 > anywho, Gentoo stopped supporting both the ESD and arts server years ago
17 > for security reasons IIRC.
18 > [1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Enlightened_Sound_Daemon
19
20 My recollection at the time PA started showing up was that PA was the
21 descendant of ESD. I assumed it was a fork. I may be wrong.
22
23 >> With as much as I've poked at PulseAudio, I'd have to say I like it
24 >> better than I like the Vista/Win7 implementation of sound daemons.
25 >
26 > I've no experience with Vista/Win7 (I've got an XP machine for gaming).
27
28 Windows coding is my day job. Workstation is Win7 Ultimate x64.
31 >> There's probably not much one can do with PA that one couldn't do with
32 >> jackd, which is probably better in terms of latency, but I never got
33 >> around to learning jackd.
34 >
35 > Yes, tried jack a few years ago but couldn't get it working right. Not
36 > that I got "burnt" by it (as dbus etc.) and if the need arise, I'll look
37 > into it again... Thing is, ALSA already have a (simple) sound server
38 > "built" in called dmix so why one would bother with Pulseaudio is beyond
39 > me (but as long as it's not "forced" onto users I don't care much about it).
40
41 I recall reading about dmix in LinuxJournal years ago, but I don't
42 think I ever got around to setting it up; ALSA was just going through
43 a major API change around 0.9, and I didn't have the resources to stay
44 up-to-date. (Dial-up was a pain. I imagine it's worse today) I did
45 have fantasies about using it to set up a fake sound device to get
46 spatial audio over headphones. I couldn't find the data set I'd needed
47 for calculating delays, though.
50 >> While I was using PA (I'm not, currently), it was nice for being able
51 >> to monitor and tune the volume levels of individual programs. That can
52 >> be important when trying to manage two different VOIP apps, video
53 >> games and Pandora at the same time.
54 >
55 > If you wish to use it then do so... :-)
56 >
57 > The thing (idea) I was trying to convey but seems to escape most people
58 > is this:
59 > "Cut out the fat!" - "Less is more/do more with less [resources]" etc...
60 > in a general sense. That's what Contiki is doing and what I think
61 > software in general should be doing (yes, in Utopia)... When adding
62 > layer upon layer, we are going in the wrong direction (unless the sum is
63 > less, which it, in my "eyes", seems not to be).
64
65 Oh, certainly. That's one of the reasons I love Linux's (and
66 especially Gentoo's) modularity so much; there's often a nearly-ideal
67 tool for any given use case. That's part of why I don't like to see
68 things which break that modularity become mandatory.
72 :wq