From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:42:58
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> Dale wrote:
5 >>>> [...]
6 >>>> I would assume I don't have evdev here. Since I asked equery for
7 >>>> anything with dev in it, it should have listed it if it was
8 >>>> installed. That is why I ask if there was something new. I can't say
9 >>>> that I have
10 >>>> ever heard of evdev before.
11 >>> For X, it's the x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev package. The driver uses
12 >>> the in-kernel "event interface" driver for keyboard and mouse. It's
13 >>> in "Device Drivers->Input device support->Event interface". You need
14 >>> to configure it in xorg.conf to use it.
15 >>>
16 >>> So in other words, you don't have it ;)
17 >>
18 >> Is this required for the new kernels? If not, why does it work in the
19 >> old ones and not the new ones? Why is something not informing us it is
20 >> needed would be a good question as well. I'll make sure the new kernel
21 >> has that tho when I test it. Just in case.
22 >
23 > It's not needed nor required. It's just a different driver. I'm not
24 > sure, but I think the point of this driver is for X to support
25 > autodetected input devices. If you remove all sections for keyboard
26 > and mouse from your x.org conf, then it will autodetect them and use
27 > evdev. This must be part of the plan to get rid of xorg.conf
28 > entirely; if you delete xorg.conf, X should autodetect everything
29 > (it's not there yet I guess, but comes close.)
34 I enabled that in the kernel. While I don't hate nano, I would rather
35 not have to use it. LOL I'll report what happens whenever I get to
36 reboot again. I usually only reboot when the power company falls off
37 the stick. o_O
38
39 Dale
40