From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 04:39:07
1 On 12/13/2020 09:05 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-12-14, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I removed "vfat" boot partition and created/change it to ext2
5 >>
6 >> But now when i try to install grub:
7 >>
8 >> grub-install /dev/nvme0n1p2
9 >> Installing for i386-pc platform.
10 >> grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
11 >> grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
12 >> grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
13 >>
14 >> Is it something that is going to create problem?
15 >
16 > If you want to install grub in an ext2 partition, you'll need to use
17 > the --force option to get grub2 to use blocklists. After you've done
18 > that, you need to make the critical file immutable so that it can't be
19 > altered or moved:
20 >
21 > # chattr +i /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
22 >
23 > If you ever need to update grub, you'll have to unlock that file using
24 > 'chattr -i'.
25 >
26 > --
27 > Grant
28
29 I don't think so. I just tried made typo.
30 Instead of running:
31 grub-install /dev/nvme0n1
32
33 I did:
34 grub-install /dev/nvme0n1p2
35
36 It install without any errors.
37
38 I've not done any installation for some time, a lot had changed. It is
39 a good practice as next PC will be a production PC; so I know to stay
40 away from "vfat" in boot partition.