From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:33:51
1 Your slowness could be due to not telling vmware to allocate all memory into physical memory, and not using a full sized disk image. It seems like vmware accesses the blocks directly, when you pre-allocate. And if the image gets fragmented, vmware warns you about it, so that you can ask it to defragment it. But, if you're using a resizable image, then you may see some slowness.
2
3 I bench marked the disk running gentoo linux on a Dell D820 notebook, in native mode. I copied that same gentoo over to a VM, and ran into in windows on the same D820 Notebook, and got slightly better performance results, by about 2-5 M/sec. I used "bonnie++ -c 5 -s 4096 -r 768 -u someone". I haven't tried it on a dynamically re-sizable disk. These results indicate to me that VMware is using direct block access, and bypassing the file system. Either that, or simply keeping it un-fragmented makes a big difference. !
6 As far as compiling slower, I've found there is a very MINOR difference between a real machine, and a VM.
7