From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:17:18
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 03:59:27AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>> If you still want to stick to a terminal solution akin to mv, then there is
5 >>> no way around a little script which wraps mv by extracting the extension and
6 >>> filename base. You could also add some “intelligence” with regards to
7 >>> directories, in order to reduce the amount of effort required to use the
8 >>> command—in case your directories follow some schema or are constant.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> #!/usr/bin/sh
12 >>>
13 >>> [ "$#" -ne "2" ] && exit 1
14 >>> SRC="$1"
15 >>> DST="$2"
16 >>>
17 >>> SRC_EXT="${SRC##*.}"
18 >>> DST_BASE="${DST%.*}"
19 >>>
20 >>> # remove destination for the case that the extensions differ
21 >>> rm "$DST"
22 >>>
23 >>> mv "$SRC" "${DST_BASE}${SRC_EXT}"
24 >>>
25 >> I finally got a chance to try this.  I saved it and made it executable.
26 >> It runs but gave me this error.
29 >> dmv torrent/video_name-old-place.mp4 video-name-new-place.mp4
30 >> bash: /bin/dmv: /usr/bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
31 >> dale@fireball ~/Desktop/Crypt/Series $
34 >> My scripting skills are minimal at best.  Still, I kinda got what your
35 >> script was doing.  Those who have known me for a while understand how
36 >> miraculous that is.  ROFL  I did some googling.  It seems to not be able
37 >> to find the 'shebang' part.  Sure enough, sh isn't located in /usr/bin
38 >> here.  It's in /bin tho.  I edited that line so it can find it.  When I
39 >> tried it, it worked but noticed another problem. […]
40 > Well, it would have been boring to provide you with a turn-key solution. ;-)
41 > Congrats on getting it working. In my Arch setup, sh is in /usr/bin. A
42 > flexible solution is to use #!/usr/bin/env sh, which looks the command up
43 > before executing it.
44 >
45 >> I added a little . on that last line before the extension bit.  I'm a
46 >> happy camper.
47 > Give me a nudge if you want the more luxurious version with interactive
48 > selection of the overwrite destination. I think I already started a
49 > prototype somewhere, but can’t find it right now.
53 Feel free to share.  Even if I don't use it, someone else may find it
54 and make good use of it.  It's one reason I posted the corrected version
55 and why I changed what I did.  Someone else just may run up on this and
56 find it helpful as well.  If possible and you have time, describe a bit
57 what each part does.
58
59 Usually when I do this, I have several videos, anywhere from 10 to
60 sometimes 30 or more.  Sometimes I wish it could 'detect' which new one
61 goes with which old one.  Thing is, I don't know if a script can do this
62 or not.  Sometimes the new is named pretty different from the old.  I
63 don't think a script could do it reliably.  If things were more
64 consistent, maybe, but there is a lot of differences at times.  Your
65 scripts at least keeps the extension correct without adding any more
66 effort on my part, except having to type dmv instead of mv.  I chose d
67 since the first letter of my name is d.  It was something.  lol
68
69 The current script sure is handy tho.
70
71 Dale
72