From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:48:06
1 On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 14:40 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I recently got a new Dell "desktop PC" at home, and ran Windows for a
3 > while to make sure nothing is broken. Now I'm getting ready to
4 > partition and reformat for a Gentoo install. My understanding is that
5 > BTRFS and EXT4 are still a bit "bleeding edge". I've used ReiserFS3 for
6 > years with no problems, but I keep hearing horror stories about it.
7 > This will be my biggest main hard drive yet (1 terabyte), so I'm
8 > considering EXT3 for the main partition. Comments?
9
10 I think btrfs is definitely still considered "experimental", but ext4 is
11 considered stable by the kernel team, I believe. I've been using ext4 on
12 many systems for a few years, and it's been fine. It has the advantage
13 of having extents over ext3, as well as a few other performance
14 improvements.
17 Randy Barlow