From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: no text in certain flash app
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:04:55
1 On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:52 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 04/15/2010 11:25 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> ...I decompiled the flash on that page...
5 >
6 > Wait a minute. Am I the only one here who wants to know how to decompile
7 > a flash app? I don't believe that, so please give us a hint :)
8
9 There are numerous flash decompilers for that evil and ubiquitous
10 operating system named after a hole in a wall. :) Since I'm at work I
11 used one of them.
12
13 In gentoo, there is the swftools package which has some
14 analysis/conversion tools. "swfdump -F file.swf" shows font
15 information and confirms what I saw in the decompiler. For the music
16 theory SWF file (which is actually called from another wrapper SWF),
17 we see this among other data:
18
19 [030] 15 DEFINEFONT2 defines id 0016
20 ID: 16
21 Version: 2
22 name: _sans
23 characters: 0
24 hightest mapped unicode value: 256
25 style: 0
26 encoding: 00
27 language: 00
28
29 Fonts can be embedded in Flash files, although in this case they are
30 not doing that, and instead using the font "_sans", which is a special
31 generic font family that's supposed to exist and work on all
32 devices... although that's apparently not the case. :)