From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:02:26
1 On Monday 16 November 2009 17:55:51 Eray Aslan wrote:
2 > On 16.11.2009 14:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:05:18 +0200, Eray Aslan wrote:
4 > >> - No need to logrotate with time based filenames. Hence, no need to
5 > >> "kill -HUP" the syslog daemon. No missed logs.
6 > >
7 > > Then how do you get the server to use the new logfile names each
8 > > day/week?
9 >
10 > It creates and uses a new file each hour/day/etc. Perhaps, you missed
11 > the file(...) directive? Reposting for your reference:
12 >
13 > destination mail {
14 > file("/var/log/mail/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOUR"
15 > [...]
16 >
17 > > You only need to send a SIGHUP to the server using that log
18 > > facility, so syslog would not be affected in your example.
19 >
20 > I can't parse this. The point is avoiding SIGHUP so that we do not miss
21 > any log messages.
22 >
23 > OP asked how one manages log files without logrotate and the answer is
24 > with time based file names. It has the additional benefit of avoiding
25 > SIGHUP.
28 I have three machines that randomly kill syslog or syslog-ng as appropriate
29 whenever they feel like it on daily rotates. There's no warning, no evidence,
30 they just ... die. 5 minutes later nagios goes ballistic and I have work to
31 do. That all three are SuSE machines is probably highly relevant.
32
33 So, anything that syslog-ng can do itself without needing external
34 intervention is a very good thing. I can then compress and move the closed
35 files around later at my leisure in complete safety.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com