From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg CPU spike with Firefox
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:39:24
1 Short time line of what happened:
2
3 On January 28, I was doing some playing around with eye-candy on my X
4 desktop, and started running animations (from Xscreensaver) as by
5 desktop background. At the same time I was browsing the internet using
6 firefox-2.0.0.1. The operation of the desktop was smooth and CPU usage
7 hardly ever went above 30% (sporadic spikes when I load new pages). I
8 was monitoring the CPU use because I want to make sure that the
9 eye-candy won't affect day-to-day operation of the desktop.
10
11 On January 29, I upgrade firefox from 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.1-r2. (My box
12 is on ~x86)
13
14 I don't remember whether the web browsing experience is any different.
15 Since I wasn't paying attention.
16
17 On Febuary 2nd, I upgrade xorg from 7.1 to 7.2, which also pulled in
18 an upgrade for xorg-server, libXdamage, and other things.
19
20 Starting yesterday (the 3rd of Feb), I noticed lock-ups when ever
21 firefox is open. At first I thought it was the fault of the animated
22 background, but then I found out that it still happened if I started a
23 no-frills, barebone fvwm session. I tried almost all of my other X
24 applications, and none of them had these behaviour (mplayer, inkscape,
25 gimp, abiword included).
26
27 When I start firefox, the cpu use for X shots up to 90+ percent (for
28 X, not for firefox) for several minutes, and everytime I open a new
29 tab X cpu use goes up to 90+ percent for several minutes, during which
30 firefox is completely unresponsive, and xterms that I opened have a
31 lag of round 0.5 - 2 seconds between keypress and character appearing
32 on screen.
33
34 Basically, firefox would, every now and then, cause my entire desktop
35 to seize up for minutes at a time.
36
37 I took a look at b.g.o., and the closest thing I found was a case
38 where the solution was to change to a sane set of CFLAGs an to unmerge
39 the known-to-be-unstable gplflash?? (can't remember the name, an OSS
40 attempt at reproducing flash, was removed from portage recently,
41 possibly because the adobe takeover of flashplayer).
42
43 I don't even know if this is actually a bug or some stupid
44 misconfiguration on my part. Any ideas of what I can check before I
45 possibly make an ass of myself on b.g.o. by having a problem that I
46 don't really know how to describe well.
47
48 Thanks,
49
50 W
51 --
52 "The suit into which the man's body had been stuffed looked
53 as if it's only purpose in life was to demonstrate how
54 difficult it was to get this sort of body into a suit. "
55 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 58 days, 16:35
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list