From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval" <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel dilemma
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:39:58
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Simon Hunt<chesemonkyloma@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I posted this on the forums but I want some more information. I have a
3 > bit of a dilemma. With these settings,
4 >
5 > xf86-video-intel: 2.6.3-r1 xorg-server: 1.6.2-r1 and 1.6.3 kernel
6 > module: i830 kernel: gentoo 2.6.29-r5 and 2.6.30-r4
7 >
8 > sometimes when stopping or starting X my computer would freeze and there
9 > would be no video output. However, other than that, inside Gnome Firefox
10 > ran pretty smoothly, not incredibly fast, but not sluggishly at all.
11 > With these settings,
12 >
13 > xf86-video-intel: 2.8.0 xorg-server: 1.6.3 kernel module: i915 kernel:
14 > vanilla 2.6.31_rc7
17 > X starts and stops very smoothly without ever freezing, I think because
18 > of the KMS. But Firefox runs sluggishly and my whole machine freezes in
19 > Firefox frequently. According to this,
20 > http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver, the 2.8.0 driver drops
21 > support for XAA and EXA, but has no UXA support for my graphics card
22 > (865G), so I think I'm getting no 2D acceleration. Could that be the
23 > reason Firefox is so slow? As for the freezes, I think that's just
24 > because the newer driver is unstable. What are the optimum driver and
25 > kernel versions for my graphics card, the 865G? Also, the reason I'm
26 > using the 2.6.31 kernel is because that X.Org wiki page says it works
27 > best with the 2.8.0 intel driver. Oh, and what exactly is the kernel
28 > module for and what are the differences between the i830 and i915?
29 >
30 > Pappy told me I should use kernel .27, and that KMS support right now
31 > for my card is very unstable. Anyway, I just want to know the best
32 > options right now for my card which is the 865G.
36 Hello,
37
38 I have a 865G too, the only combination that works for me with the
39 i915 intel driver is:
40
41 kernel: gentoo-sources-2.6.28
42 driver: xf86-video-intel: 2.7.1
43
44 Anything above that (>=gentoo-sources-2.6.29, >=xf86-video-intel:
45 2.7.1) fails for my setup with freezes like the ones you describe.
46
47 As my box is ~x86, I have installed many versions of xorg-server
48 without varying the kernel and driver, and they worked all right.
49
50 I am thinking in giving up to using the intel driver in order to user
51 the latest kernel, with an /etc/X11/xorg.conf using a VESA card
52 configuration and I have not tested the i830 option.
53
54 Hope this helps.
57 Andrés