From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fcrontab - what am I missing [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:56:55
1 On Friday 23 October 2009 17:51:19 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > after hunting around for some weeks now, I've finally found the culprit
5 > to my permission problems with fcron[tab]
6 >
7 > First,
8 > some Gentoo package must have changed the UID of several executables
9 > and directories of the sys-process/fcron package to 'stunnel'
10 > instead of 'fcron'.
11 > I've found and fixed these long ago but still it didn't work.
12 > Now, I've found out, that in
13 > /etc/passwd
14 > the user 'fcron' had a GID which wasn't in /etc/group any longer.
15 > Probably, when sys-process/fcron is reinstalled, portage does not
16 > seem to change the entry in /etc/passwd (which it has created
17 > itself some time ago)
20 Without looking through the ebuilds, I'd guess the ebuild runs
21
22 useradd -r <daemon_name>
23
24 which will always lead to your problem sooner or later.
25
26 IMNSHO, /etc/{passwd,shadow,group} really should be part of the base install
27 with all daemon users pre-defined. Use the range 1-99 for this, it will take a
28 very long time to accumulate more than 99 daemon UIDs and one can confidently
29 know what UID a given system user required by an ebuild ought to be.
30
31 The implementation is obviously more complex than dropping a file on the file
32 system, so a simple API is required. Nonetheless, the idea is still sound.
33
34 The alternate is to expect users to know to run
35
36 find / -nouser -o -nogroup
37
38 at the magic points where it will be useful. Which is ludicrous.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com