From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage issue
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:22:14
1 On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:28:57AM +0200, Penguin Lover Rumen Yotov
3 squawked:
4 > > >You're welcome. What I'd like to know is in which universe portage
5 > > > could block bash <puzzled>
6 > > >
7 > > >It just sounds a bit daft, sort of like OpenOffice blocking
8 > > > mutt...
9 > >
10 > > Thinking about it, much of portage is bash-scripts, no.
11 > > Maybe some portage features depend on newer bash functions, just
12 > > guessing. HTH. Rumen
13 >
14 > See bgo#196278 and the bash changelog
15 > http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/COMPAT
16 > In particular point 29 about handling of the % character in parameter
17 > replacement.
18 >
19 > In short, bash changes behaviour (another one is how special
20 > characters in regexp inside a test is dealt with; that one bit me
21 > personally).
22
23 OK, that now makes a lot of sense, thanks.
24
25 > Rather than coding portage to switch function/variable
26 > definitions based on bash version,
27
28 which would be disgustingly ugly :-)
29
30 > the portage devs feel that it is
31 > easier to just make it depend on the newer version of bash.
32
33 Yes, a very sane decision
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com