From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ssomething dorked up in /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 04:37:36
1 I completed an emerge -v -uD --newuse world a while ago and am
2 noticing something very wrong in the starting of services.
3
4 I went thru the 50 or so new .cfg000* files and installed most of them
5 after seeing nothing I recognized as as wrong in the diffs. I only
6 kept ones I'd changed by hand and new I needed certain stuff.
7
8 Now I get a big confusing blob when I try to start a service from the
9 stnadard way: /etc/init.d/NAME start/stop/status
10
11 Several of the .cfg0000* files were destined for that directory so I'm
12 guessing I somehow botched one or more up, although I did no editing.
13 It was just overwrite existing with new or not.
14
15 On reboot most services failed with the output below.
16
17 I think the problem is superficial in that the same services can be
18 started by hand by and large. I started sshd sendmail network etc
19 from the command line and have those services to use.
20
21 `revdep rebuild' shows a herd of broken stuff but it all seems to
22 revolve around libMagick and some of the koffice stuff. I'm waiting
23 for the oneshots to complete now. I didn't notice anything in the
24 broken list that looks like it might be responsible for this init
25 thing.
26
27 =========================================
28
29 EXample output:
30 /etc/init/samba start
31
32 * Caching service dependencies ...
33 * Starting eth1
34 * adsl does not support the required function provides
35 * apipa does not support the required function check_installed
36 * arping does not support the required function provides
37 * bonding does not support the required function provides
38 * bridge does not support the required function provides
39 * dhclient does not support the required function provides
40 * dhcpcd does not support the required function provides
41 * essidnet does not support the required function check_install
42 * ifconfig does not support the required function provides
43 * ifplugd does not support the required function provides
44 * ipppd does not support the required function provides
45 * iproute2 does not support the required function provides
46 * iptunnel does not support the required function check_install
47 * iwconfig does not support the required function provides
48 * macchanger does not support the required function check_insta
49 * macnet does not support the required function check_installed
50 * netplugd does not support the required function provides
51 * pppd does not support the required function provides
52 * pump does not support the required function provides
53 * rename does not support the required function check_installed
54 * system does not support the required function check_installed
55 * tuntap does not support the required function provides
56 * udhcpc does not support the required function provides
57 * vlan does not support the required function provides
58 * wpa_supplicant does not support the required function provide
59 * no interface module has been loaded
60 * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
61 * "samba" was not started.
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list