From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: equery depends =dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 19:27:37
1 On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:17:57 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just
5 >> >> -C?
6 >> >
7 >> > If you unmerge with -C you have to be sure that nothing needs it as a
8 >> > dependency. Using --depclean helps because it checks that and only
9 >> > unmerges if nothing needs it as a dependency anymore.
10 >> >
11 >> > Greetings
12 >> >
13 >> > Sebastian
14 >>
15 >> Fair enough. Thanks. Presumably the use of --depclean doesn't work
16 >> until you're clear with emerge -DuN @world?
17 >>
18 >> I've used this stuff so long I've not learned many of the newer tricks
19 >> I think. Good stuff.
20 >
21 > I believe the -C output recommends using --depclean instead now.
24 > --
25 > Neil Bothwick
26
27 Hi Neil,
28 Yeah, I think that's been true for awhile. However I'm fairly
29 selective about actually using --depclean when I can use -C, but
30 that's just me personally. In the case of the OP if I wanted to remove
31 exactly 1 package then personally I'd just use -C followed by emerge
32 -pvDuN @world or maybe revdep-rebuild -ip. But again, that's me.
33 --depclean is probably best for removing lots of things, and as I
34 think is clear from this thread, I didn't even know that --depclean
35 followed by a package name was even supported.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Mark