From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 20:42:50
1 Am 30.05.2011 20:05, schrieb David W Noon:
2 > On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:10:02 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:48:15 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> How does the tool of choice determine if a file is redundant or not?
8 >>>
9 >>> Just because a configuration file is not associated with a Portage
10 >>> package [any more] does not necessarily mean it is redundant.
11 >>
12 >> No, but it indicates the file warrants a closer look as it may be
13 >> orphaned. qfile is my tool of choice for this, it only list files and
14 >> deletes nothing.
15 >
16 > Indeed, I would be very wary of any tool that automatically deleted a
17 > configuration file without backing it up.
18 >
19 > The only algorithmic approach with which I would feel comfortable would
20 > be if the file were checked against the previous contents of a package
21 > and found present, but has disappeared from the new contents of that
22 > same package. Even then, I would want manual confirmation.
23
24 This might also be one of the few cases where atime might be of
25 interest. If the file has not been accessed in the last complete
26 power-on/power-off cycle, chances are no application depends on it.
27
28 Of course, even then there are lots of false positives, for example
29 everything in /etc/skel
30
31 Regards,
32 Florian Philipp