From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:07:08
1 This is highly off-topic, and systemd-related, so if you don't want
2 your breakfast with a healthy amount of flames, skip it.
3
4 iTWire posted an interview with Linus Torvalds[1], where the Big
5 Penguin himself gave a succinct and pretty fair opinion on systemd.
6 The gist of it can be resumed in two lines:
7
8 "I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and
9 laptop both run it."
10
11 I post it here because several times in the last discussions about
12 systemd, there was people asking what opinion Linus had about systemd.
13 I personally don't think Linus particular opinion matters at all in
14 this particular issue; in general people who likes systemd will
15 continue to like it, and people who despises it will continue to do
16 so, for any good, bad, real or imaginary reason. However, I *really*
17 like several things Linus says in the interview; some juicy bits:
18
19 • "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days
20 more of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
21 situation."
22
23 • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
24 thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
25 pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
26 it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
27 applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
28 a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
29 think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
30 reality."
31
32 • "...systemd is in no way the piece that breaks with old UNIX legacy."
33
34 • " I'm still old-fashioned enough that I like my log-files in text,
35 not binary, so I think sometimes systemd hasn't necessarily had the
36 best of taste, but hey, details..[.]"
37
38 • (About the "single-point-of-failure" "argument") "I think people are
39 digging for excuses. I mean, if that is a reason to not use a piece of
40 software, then you shouldn't use the kernel either."
41
42 • "And there's a classic term for it in the BSD camps: "bikeshed
43 painting", which is very much about how random people can feel like
44 they have the ability to discuss superficial issues, because everybody
45 feels that they can give an opinion on the color choice. So issues
46 that are superficial get a lot more noise. Then when it comes to
47 actual hard and deep technical decisions, people (sometimes) realise
48 that they just don't know enough, and they won't give that the same
49 kind of mouth-time."
50
51 It's an interesting read; I highly recommend it.
52
53 [1] http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
54 --
55 Canek Peláez Valdés
56 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias