From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo handbook
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:32:31
1 On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 10:09:00PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > missing lots of accessibility-related material.
3 > I've installed several other versions of Linux before and got them
4 > accessible using material found mostly on the internet for instructions.
5 > The first one was RedHat 5.0 when that was a current distribution.
6 > After that, slackware, debian, fedora ubuntu arch-linux coconut and jenux.
7 > Anyone interested could do a youtube search for gentoo, and I'm pretty
8 > sure you'll find I wasn't the only potential installer who ran into all
9 > manner of unexpected behavior.
10
11 YouTube probably isn't the best source of information for technical Linux
12 documentation. Asking here on the mailing list is always good; the appropriate
13 IRC channels can be helpful, too. Gentoo does not hold your hand and provide a
14 pretty GUI for every potential option and use-case, because its range of target
15 consumers is far too broad. The "all manner of unexpected behaviour" you're
16 encountering is just the feeling of having to do some of the heavy-lifting
17 yourself, which is certainly not a negative remark on Gentoo!
18
19 If you have a very specific and niche issue, you can also reach out directly to
20 the Gentoo Accessibility Project in different forms (#gentoo-accessibility;
21 accessibility@g.o; gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o) [1].
22
23 > An A gentoo accessibility install podcast ought to have been available for
24 > this distribution many years ago.
25
26 A podcast for all accessibility use-cases in Gentoo would, once again, be far
27 too broad and help only a minority of potentially interested viewers. A
28 dedicated espeak(up) page on the Gentoo wiki would be great, however. I was
29 rather surprised to see that one didn't exist.
30
31 > A feature that would be useful for menuconfig would be the ability once a
32 > search is done to jump onto the desired search item directly (if the item
33 > were available at all).
34 > Maybe that's communicated by colors, I don't know.
35
36 Currently, the closest thing menuconfig provides is detailing the location of
37 the `CONFIG_` option, in relation to the graphical menus one must navigate.
38 Sometimes it's just easier to edit your `.config` manually; menuconfig can be
39 terribly slow and cumbersome when you're only searching the option titles.
40
41 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Accessibility
45 Ashley Dixon
46 suugaku.co.uk