From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to make Opera or Firefox believe my location is the UK?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:56:50
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I understand that this topic is not exactly Gentoo related. It does
4 relate, however, to a Gentoo-ish way to solve the "issue".
5
6 This year I enjoyed much to follow the Formula 1 season, and I have
7 one problem with it: I have a TV set (actually I borrow it for the
8 day), but I have no access to Eurosport and thus I cannot follow the
9 Saturday Qualifications for each Grand Prix. I can follow them live
10 using the official Formula 1 website [1]. There are, however, no live
11 commentaries (live as in voice).
12
13 I searched a bit on the Internet and found the BBC Radio Station [2].
14 I have one single technical problem with it: it's "Available Online
15 (UK Only)". So, my questions:
16
17 Is there a way to make Opera or Firefox believe that I am located in
18 the UK? I am using (on a regular basis) the following environment
19 variables.
20 LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
21 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
22 Nonetheless, it seems to make no difference to either browser. Maybe
23 someone knows exactly how does BBC, or Google and other sites
24 proposing their web pages in your local language, determine your
25 location? For example, when accessing
26 http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox,net , it indicates me immediately
27 and correctly from what country I am accessing the site. When I enter
28 my IP address in the "CountryWhois" box, it is unable to identify my
29 coordonates.
30
31 [1] http://www.formula1.com/services/live_timing/
32 [2] http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportsextra/schedule.shtml
33
34 Any suggestions - especially by Saturday :) - are welcome,
35 Liviu
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list