From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:17:32
1 Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
2 > On Monday 18 May 2009 22:14:43 bn wrote:
3 >>> If you use Ubuntu, you've got to accept their eccentric & questionable
4 >>> attitude to passwords, esp that they don't have a separate root password.
5 >>> I find that a piece of cheap popularisation contrary to UNIX principles.
6 >
7 > Huh?
8 >
9 > The package you are talking about is sudo. Might I add that sudo follows the
10 > grand time honoured tradition of the principle of least priviledge whereas su
11 > does not?
12
13 As far as I know it is not enough to just use sudo. When a GUI program
14 requires admin privileges, it will usually ask the root password. On
15 Ubuntu, it will instead "sudo" its privileges. That's the thing, I think
16 Ubuntu patches its software to behave properly with its own sudo thing.
17
18 But it's not a big deal, it's just a feature which made sense to me but
19 I can live very happily also with the good old Unix way.
20
21 m.