From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:05:09
1 On Friday 27 August 2010 11:21:08 Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Friday 27 August 2010 11:49:00 Dale wrote:
4 > >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I still
7 > >> use e2fsprogs to change those?
8 > >
9 > > Nope:
10 > > eve ~ # reiserfstune --help
11 > > reiserfstune: unrecognized option '--help'
12 > > reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options] device [block-count]
15 > > -j | --journal-device file current journal device
16 > > --journal-new-device file new journal device
17 > > -o | --journal-new-offset N new journal offset in blocks
18 > > -s | --journal-new-size N new journal size in blocks
19 > > -t | --trans-max-size N new journal max transaction size in
20 > > blocks --no-journal-available current journal is not available
21 > > --make-journal-standard new journal to be standard
22 > > -b | --add-badblocks file add to bad block list
23 > > -B | --badblocks file set the bad block list
24 > > -u | --uuid UUID|random set new UUID
25 > > -l | --label LABEL set new label
26 > > -f | --force force tuning, less confirmations
27 > > -V print version and exit
28 > >
29 > > IOW (as example):
30 > > reiserfstune -l ROOTDISK /dev/hda1
31 > >
32 > >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
33 > >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
34 > >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
35 > >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
36 > >
37 > > Afraid not.
38 > > The naming scheme is, officially, not constant and can change with
39 > > reboots.
40 > >
41 > > On my server, with hotswap, I get different device-names when I remove a
42 > > disk and plug it back in.
43 > > Eg. /dev/sdb -> /dev/sdj
44 > > (as example)
45 > > Don't think you'll have that particular issue, but having these names
46 > > change between reboots is possible. Especially if a drive fails and is
47 > > not found during boot or a new drive is added.
48 > >
49 > > Not tested, but I believe USB-drives might also get pushed into the mix?
50 > >
51 > > --
52 > > Joost
53 >
54 > I do know the USB stuff changes but I wasn't sure about the others. I
55 > would think the main drives in a system would come first but one could
56 > never make that promise. I'm giving serious thought to using the
57 > labels. It would also mean that I don't have to remember what partition
58 > is what. Currently I would mount and then list what is in the directory
59 > to see what is in it and figure out what it is. With the labels
60 > feature, even fdisk would tell me what is what.
61 >
62 > This would be a good time to move the OS to a new drive. If things work
63 > out, run from the new drive. If things blow up, boot the old drive with
64 > the old kernel, old fstab and other settings.
65
66 While on the topic of labels, is there a way to change the label of a reiser4
67 partition, *after* it has been created? I rebuilt two partitions and forgot
68 to relabel them ...
69 --
70 Regards,
71 Mick