From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/init.d/: ntpd or ntp-client?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:40:53
1 Stroller schrieb:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I just logged into one of my machines that has recently been powered
5 > down for a few days - not a terribly common occurrence with my servers -
6 > to find a date of January 30th showing.
7 >
8 > I used to run ntp-client, but AIUI adding this to the default runlevel
9 > only sets the clock once at boot up. Of course the problem with that is
10 > that the computer's clock can become inaccurate if the spring tension is
11 > weak, as is obviously the case in my older PCs.
12 >
13 > So a while back I changed /etc/runlevels/default so that ntpd is started
14 > instead.
15 >
16 > I understood that ntpd was not only a server for my LAN (a facility I
17 > don't use) but that it would also periodically check the time with
18 > upstream servers & keep the machine's clock in constant sync.
19 >
20 > So when I found the clock to be a week out of date I checked that ntpd
21 > appeared to be running (it was) and restarted it. The date remained the
22 > same. Stopping ntpd & starting ntp-client corrected the date immediately.
23 >
24 > Before I do any investigation, can someone tell me if my understanding
25 > so far is correct? Is ntpd supposed to keep the machine's clock in
26 > constant sync, or is it only (say) a server to offer the date to
27 > clients? (depending upon the clock being set correctly by other means) I
28 > thought I had configured ntpd with upstream servers separately from
29 > ntp-client.
30 >
31 > Stroller.
34 pkg_postinst() {
35 ewarn "You can find an example /etc/ntp.conf in /usr/share/ntp/"
36 ewarn "Review /etc/ntp.conf to setup server info."
37 ewarn "Review /etc/conf.d/ntpd to setup init.d info."
38 echo
39 elog "The way ntp sets and maintains your system time has changed."
40 elog "Now you can use /etc/init.d/ntp-client to set your time at"
41 elog "boot while you can use /etc/init.d/ntpd to maintain your time"
42 elog "while your machine runs"