From: "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:38:04
1 On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
3 >> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
8 >>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits the
9 >>>> same behavior...
10 >>>>
11 >>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev update
12 >>> was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev" thing. That is
13 >>> why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was having this issue with a
14 >>> server setup.
15 >> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
16 >> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution like
17 >> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
18 >>
19 >> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a point in
20 >> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
24 > Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked, eudev works but I'm not
25 > sure what hoops I would have to go through to get the new udev working,
26 > most likely the same ones others here are going through now. For once,
27 > I'm not having to deal with some broken issue. < knock on wood >
28 >
29 > My current uptime is about 190 days. May hit it still but I'm certainly
30 > hoping I don't.
31
32 And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
33 affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
34 knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old script was
35 stabilized.
38 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
39 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/