From: "jamesc@××××××××××××.com" <jamesc@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:07:31
1 On Fri Jun 8 16:38 , Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> sent:
2
3 >This is something I have done several times. This is how I do it.
4 >Boot the Gentoo CD or some other live CD, Knoppix should work. After
5 >you get booted up, mount the partitions, old and new, then use this
6 >command: cp -av /path/to/old /path/to/new and sit back and watch it
7 >all scroll by. It may take a good while depending on how much stuff
8 >you have to copy.
12 >I'm not saying that someone else doesn't have a better idea. I have
13 >seen where people tar the stuff then untar it to the new drive. To me,
14 >it is a useless step. What I use has worked for me every time and I
15 >have done it quite a bit.
18 Yeah, that's me, I do exactly the same until you issue the cp command where I do:
19 $>cd /mnt/oldstuff && tar cvjpf /pathtosomewhere/mystuff.tbz ./
20 and then extract to the new directory. I do this out of habit mostly and, yes,
21 it is a useless step unless you want to store a copy somewhere for whatever reason...
22
23 --James
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list