From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:32:51
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
3 > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
4 > environments.
5 >
6 > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280
7 >
8 > Summary: Try the latest KDE. You might get pleasantly surprised.
9
10 For me? I like using awesomewm where I can, though sometimes I switch
11 to XFCE where useful. KDE isn't bad, except for compile times; I'm not
12 enough of a KDE power user to really be affected by the differences
13 between KDE3 and KDE4.
14
15 I tend to recommend LXDE, XFCE or GNOME to Linux newcomers, depending
16 on where they're coming from. LXDE is an excellent choice if the
17 newbie hails from WinXP, for example. XFCE is reasonable for Mac or
18 late-model Windows users. GNOME (either 2 or 3) is reasonable for
19 low-end users.
20
21 I don't deal with many "I don't want to touch it" users, but for
22 those, I found netbook-oriented window managers work best. The less
23 the user has to think about the interface, the more they can get on to
24 complaining about apps.
28 :wq