From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel make files disappear
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:07:34
1 On Thursday 28 July 2011 11:53:04 Daniel Hilst Selli did opine thusly:
2 > I have some old kernel trees here.. But there is no Makefiles for
3 > some of them. I did not remove the Makefiles. There is anyone
4 > having the same problem? Whats happen?
5 >
6 > I emerge -NuD periodically, some times I see my kernel
7 > being updated.. May portage remove my Makefiles??
8
9 In real life, portage seldom (if ever) *updates* a kernel src package.
10 Almost all kernel versions, even ones with teeny-weeny -r changes in
11 the version number, are an entirely new package which installs into
12 it's own directory in /usr/src/
13
14 So,
15 gentoo-sources-2.6.39-r1
16 will touch nothing belonging to
17 gentoo-sources-2.6.39
18
19 This is in contrast to how most packages work, where -r versions
20 contain gentoo patches or ebuild tweaks but still use exactly the same
21 sources.
22
23 Perhaps you have unmerged old kernel sources that were previously
24 built. In this case portage will remove the files it put there and
25 leave everything the compiler built. Run this:
26
27 du -sh /usr/src/*
28
29 Anything with a size of about 300M has probably had this happen.
30 Intact trees that were built tend to come out at around 700M
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com