From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sci-physics/root slotting?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:08:59
1 Hello,
2
3 For anyone who uses the data analysis framework ROOT developed mainly
4 at CERN (sorry, I didn't name it 'root'), I can imagine that slotting
5 would be an extremely useful feature.
6
7 Anyone who doesn't use or know root, but has experience or opinions on
8 how or when slots should be used, your feedback would be appreciated,
9 too.
10
11 All kinds of macros and libraries will go bonkers on the wrong
12 version, and there are even binary linux executables out there that
13 want certain versions installed. It's a pity I didn't think of this a
14 few years ago.
15
16 It occurred to me tonight that adding slotting should be easy and very
17 useful. I've never added slotting, but I'm already running root as a
18 local overlay because I need root-5.20 (with patches from 5.22+ to
19 keep my system otherwise current!), and so I'm going to give it a go
20 at least for myself. Actually, few of the people I know in physics
21 run Gentoo, but they also complain about root versions. Maybe I at
22 least have an argument that would compel anyone to switch to Gentoo if
23 we get slots running.
24
25 If this seems like a good feature request, I'll put a modified ebuild
26 on bugzilla for all present root versions after I can test it (may
27 take a few days, since root isn't a quick compile and I have physics
28 to do).
29
30 Obviously, if this happens, I need to consider a bugzilla feature
31 request on eselect as well, or make eselect-root. Never touched that
32 source either, but I will, if nothing else, be hacking together an
33 eselect-root shell script for myself. If I manage to modify the
34 eselect source, then at least I might be more deserving of the
35 ChangeLog credit, since I don't think making the number for slot
36 non-zero in a few ebuilds really qualifies as real work. Might also
37 need the multislot use flag.
38
39 Anyone out there interested in this or have some feedback for me? If
40 it's only me, I'm hesitant to submit it to bugzilla (no sooner than
41 next week), but I'll be running it as local ebuilds as slots from here
42 on out.
43
44 Regards,
45 daid