From: Peter Weilbacher <newsspam@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Continuous beeping with kernel 3.10 and 3.11
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:45:02
1 On 2013-09-26 14:42, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
2 > On one of my machines, I get continuous beeping from the internal
3 > loudspeaker when I boot a newer kernel (I'm using vanilla-sources). I
4 > first had that with 3.10.8 and also with 3.10.10, and it continues
5 > with 3.11.1.
6 [...]
7 > In the meantime I left the machine on long enough to discover that it
8 > stops beeping whenever it is idle long enough and blanks the display.
9
10 Well, this is embarrassing: Since this began I switched the machine on
11 even less often than before, but yesterday I found out by chance that
12 the sound did not come from the internal speaker but from the speakers
13 built into my screen. Now I traced it to the snd-hda-intel kernel module
14 (noise there if loaded, sound gone when removed with |modprobe -r|).
15
16 Why was the sound never heard on bootup in 3.8.x kernels but is starting
17 with 3.10.1?
18
19 Peter.
20
21 P.S.: At least now I know that the easy workaround is to tune the
22 (hardware) speaker volume down to 0...