From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID Advice Needed
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:39:06
1 Doug Brown wrote:
2 > My mobo's chipset (nvidia nf 4) doesn't support raid real well, and I
3 > have read that Linux Software raid is very good. I am getting ready to
4 > install Gentoo 2005.1 64bit real soon (I am new to Gentoo), and I was
5 > wondering what types of raid it supports. I know it supports 0 and 1,
6 > but I am more interested in raid 0+1 and 1+0.
9 Linux software raid is capable of doing all the usual stuff as well as
10 RAID 0+1 or 1+0. I'd want a RAID 0 stripe of mirrored RAID 1 sets rather
11 than mirroring two RAID 0 sets, but my requirements may not be yours.
12
13 Assuming this is a small home system I'd go with RAID 5 with maybe a
14 hot spare if I have more than four drives in a normal server setting
15 where reads happen more often than writes. That's more space with
16 comparable performance for anything you're likely to be doing. If you
17 really need the performance spend the money on a real RAID card with
18 local cache. The difference is night and day.
19
20 kashani
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list