From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 boots only older kernel
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 22:52:10
1 On 05/21/14 08:00, Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * wireless@×××××××××××.com <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [140519 21:25]:
3 > [SNIP]
4 >> It never tries to boot. Grub just sits there withe phrase (did not copy
5 >> it down) where it says what version it will boot on the screen
7 >> a manual reset. It never tries to load the kernel. Does not matter if
8 >> I try a 3.13.7 or 3.14.x, I've rebuilt them quite a few times and did
9 >> all the grub2 steps, but none of the newer kernels will boot.
10 >>
11 >> Nothing was done to the bios. The only change was to get rid of ATI
12 >> Frame buffer support as suggested upon a recent update:
13 >>
14 >> * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
15 >> * CONFIG_FB_RADEON: should not be set. But it is.
16 >> * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
17 >> * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
22 >> James
23 >
24 > I've had problems like this with grub2 when it was trying to retain the
25 > graphics mode (sorry, I don't remember the line in grub.cfg since I've
26 > since removed it.)
27
28 yep, this is what I suspect. I may need to reinstall grub2, for some
29 unknown reason. My research so far has yielded lots of anomolies with
30 grub2....
33 > I usually find grub problems by entering the grub command line and
34 > typing the commands in the menuentry from /boot/grub/grub.cfg that
35 > doesn't work one at a time.
36
37 Good idea, I'll try this.
38