From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any way of tracing kernel freezes?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:42:56
1 On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 05:04:15AM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > On 13/06/13 22:05, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4
5 > >> but I'd think that a corrupt memory would cause something different
6 > >> than a full freeze.
7 > >
8 > > It usually manifests in segfaults that seem to come at random. But it's
9 > > still worth a shot. It's very easy. Emerge "sys-apps/memtest86+" and
10 > > add this grub entry:
11
12 I found my old USB Gentoo which has memtest installed (and which I used
13 for my first test also). I let it run for two passes, both successful.
14 So the RAM seems fine.
15
16 > Temperature? - check for dust puppies clogging the heatsinks, cooling etc.
17
18 It’s a netbook with a 6.5 Watt CPU. I’m going through the big emerge
19 again right now (3.5 hours in), and it never goes above 66°. Besides, the
20 freezes also happened when I didn’t do anything heavy. Just surfing
21 (though Firefox can also be heave for an Atom ^^).
22
23 Anyhoo, I’m running 3.8.13 again now. I didn’t have my config anymore,
24 so I oldconfig'ed it from 3.9. Let’s see whether it’s more stable. If
25 yes, hm... I can’t really report this to the kernel devs: “My netbook
26 freezes since 3.9, that’s all I know. Here, have my configs.” :-I
27 --
28 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
29 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
30
31 The problem with FORTRAN jokes is that they never fit into a single li