From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hal vs. devicekit
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:48:20
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 10/31/2009 4:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Even it's author knows this (but apparently many distros do not)
5 >> which is why
6 >> he deprecated hal and started over with devicekit.
7 >
8 > Speaking of which...
9 >
10 > Has the switchover to devicekit officially started and I missed it?
11 > And if so, is there some migration guide of some sort I can peruse for
12 > assistance?
13 >
14 > I just upgraded Xorg and Gnome yesterday and my previously
15 > more-or-less-working with hal system went belly up. It no longer
16 > recognizes my synaptics touchpad, and in fact refused to start X until
17 > I re-merged the kdb/mouse drivers, and gnome-power-manager is totally
18 > useless.
19 >
20 > For the record, I'm all about moving to devicekit from hal if that's
21 > where the dev(s) are moving, but I'd rather do so while continuing to
22 > use my laptop :)
23 >
24 > --Mike
28 I noticed devicekit going in the tree the other day. I think I posted
29 it on this list.
30
31 root@smoker / # eix devicekit
32 * sys-apps/devicekit
33 Available versions: ~003 {doc}
34 Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
36 listening for device events using udev
37
38 * sys-apps/devicekit-disks
39 Available versions: ~008 {bash-completion debug doc}
40 Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
42 storage devices
43
44 * sys-apps/devicekit-power
45 Available versions: ~009 ~011 {debug doc test}
46 Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
48 devices and querying history and statistics
49
50 Found 3 matches.
51 root@smoker / #
52
53 I'm not sure when it FIRST hit the tree but at least it is there. I
54 hope the config stuff is easier. Of course, if it just works, that
55 would be nice.
56
57 Dale
58