From: Philipp Hasse <dream-weaver@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Stage1 install: GCC 3.4 ebuild exports CTARGET and causes problems
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:45:32
1 Hi,
2
3 I recently tried to install Gentoo with GCC 3.4. After running bootstrap.sh
4 some packages refused to compile during "emerge system".
5 For instance, the configure script of xterm could not find the program
6 /usr/bin/tic (which is included in ncurses) though ncurses was installed.
7 I found tic in /usr/bin/ but with a different name:
8 /usr/bin/i586-pc-linux-gnu-tic. I figured out that this was caused by the
9 configure script which was run with the --target switch: ./configure
10 ... --target=i586-pc-linux-gnu ...
11 This target switch is used when emerge finds CTARGET set in the environment
12 variables. CTARGET is set when the GCC ebuild (versions 3.4 and up, I think)
13 finds a cross compile which infact applies to a Gentoo installation because
14 Gentoo assumes to be i386-pc-linux-gnu in stage1. The function that writes
15 the CTARGET entry in /etc/env.d/gcc/<host> is create_gcc_env_entry found in
16 toolchain.eclass (/usr/portage/eclass) (if it detects a cross compile).
17 This function isn't used in the ebuilds of GCC with version 3.3.x (except
18 3.3.5 which is ~x86 and not installed in general). This explains why my
19 current Gentoo installation works quite fine.
20 So, why is create_gcc_env_entry used in the newest versions of GCC and
21 should this the default behaviour to detect a cross compile and to set
22 CTARGET even if both system types are of pc-linux-gnu but different
23 processors?
24
25 Regards
26 Philipp Hasse