From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 15:32:13
1 On 24/06/2016 16:06, allan gottlieb wrote:
2 > Having read the latest news article and rereading parts of the
3 > localization guide, it is not clear to me what action, if any, I need to
4 > take.
5 >
6 > My systems are US English only
7 >
8 > /etc/portage/make.conf has
9 > LINGUAS="en"
10 >
11 > /etc/local.gen has just comments plus
12 > en_US ISO-8859-1
13 > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
14 >
15 > Should I add
16 > L10N="en-US"
17 > to /etc/portage/make.conf ?
18 >
19 > Should I run local-gen ?
20 >
21 > Thanks
22 > allan
25 Add
26
27 L10N="en" to make.conf
28
29 "en" has no tweaks to be made to the new naming style so that's all you
30 do. Other folks who use, for example, Brazilian Portuguese, will need to
31 make tweaks and look up the correct value in the file the news item
32 references.
33
34 For now LINGUAS and L10N will work in parallel and the devs will do the
35 heavy lifting. For the moment all changes will be light touch, the big
36 tasks will happen later.
37
38 One day you will need to remove LINGUAS from make.conf entirely, but
39 that day is not today.
40
41 And all of this is necessary because making a USE_EXPAND env var called
42 LINGUAS was a really stupid idea from day one.
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com