From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use two graphics cards with one display
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 20:42:13
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 19:34:15 +0200 lee wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > is there a way to reasonably use two graphics cards with a single
7 > display?
8 >
9 > SLI won't work because it's retarded in requiring the GPUs to be the
10 > same, which they aren't --- not to mention that the cards would be too
11 > far away from each other in the slots for a bridge to fit.
12 >
13 > So what I'm thinking of is like using one card as a default and being
14 > able to use the other one to play a video in some window on the same
15 > display, preferably managed by the same fvwm, with the window optionally
16 > being fullscreen in size. I'd like to do that because the card I have
17 > isn't powerful enough to play a video while an open gl application is
18 > running at the same time.
19 >
20 > I'll probably get a better card once prices come down a bit, but it
21 > might have the same problem, and why would I want to waste an otherwise
22 > perfectly good graphics card.
23
24 Yes, but it depends on your hardware setup. What's yours and why
25 you need such unusual thing: connect two video cards to a single
26 monitor, or do you mean by display X display spawn over multiple
27 monitors?
28
29 In case of laptops such configuration is quite common: they may
30 have two video cards with single switchable output: intel card is
31 used for general work to save power and nvidia card is used for
32 applications, requiring high GPU performance. Switching is done
33 using sys-power/bbswitch. But looks like this is not your case,
34 since you are talking about card replacement, since most laptop GPU
35 cards are not replaceable.
36
37 If you want a multihead setup using two cards, this is trivial using
38 either xinerama or X screens depending on your taste.
39
40 As far as I understand your e-mail, you are trying to mux video
41 outputs of two GPU cards to a single monitor (excuse me if I'm
42 wrong, but it is hard to understand what your hardware is), this is
43 also doable if your monitor supports dual input (most modern
44 monitors do). This way separate X screens may be used to achive
45 your goal. (Xinerama setup is also possible, but GL acceleration
46 will be limited to abilities of the weakest card).
47
48 But honestly I don't get why you need this: if you have a powerful
49 GPU and it is not a laptop, where power consumption is critical,
50 why just don't use that card? Most cards have multiple outputs, so
51 it is not a problem to setup multihead with a single card either.
52
53 Best regards,
54 Andrew Savchenko