From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:59:38
1 Hello,
2
3 I can only comment about my experience (facts).
4 On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:42:22 +0430
5 Platoali <platoali@×××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > Well, last night the graphic card of my laptop got broken. So I'm
8 > considering to replace it with a workstation for some graphic
9 > applications (Mainly blender and gimp.) I need 3d acceleration, and my
10 > poor laptop was rendering for hours to get my job done. So I decide to
11 > buy a workstation instead a laptop. I want to ask, which graphic cards
12 > are better supported in Linux. I know that ATI have freed or in the
13 > process of freeing their graphic cards driver.
14
15 No, they just released some specs. They did not release a single line of the
16 fglrx driver source.
17
18 > But I did not have any
19 > good memory from my previous experience with ATI. My previous card was
20 > ATI radeon 9600m and it never worked the way it had to until broken.
21 > I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
22 > Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
23 >
24 I tried it yet-once-more a couple of months ago, it did not work, just like the
25 few dozens I've tried before. Particularly I found:
26
27 1.- 100% cpu usage under any wm, while idle
28 2.- xinerama just plainly doesn't work, it's not usable, and provoqued xorg
29 log spamming due to a bug
30
31 This was with an hd2600.
32
33 > And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
34 > regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
35 > thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
36 > anyone have any comment about them?
37
38 I never found a nvidia card with did not work with a simple
39 "emerge nvidia-drivers". They just work.
40
41 In any case, luck with anything you choose.
42 --
43 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>