From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 18:33:01
1 On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2011-10-04, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:49:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Subject line says it pretty well. ??Is grub2 stable, who uses it and can
7 >>>> you post your experience on the switching process? ??Was it difficult?
8 >>>
9 >>> I use it on my netbook, which I admittedly don't boot more than a couple
10 >>> of times a month. It's stable, I can't comment on the switching process
11 >>> as I used GRUB2 from the start with this machine, it seemed a good time
12 >>> to get to grips with it.
13 >>>
14 >>> GRUB2 is neither complicated nor difficult, but it is different.
15 >>
16 >> I've only used it on Ubuntu, and maybe it's just Ubuntu's
17 >> implementation -- but it was both complicated and difficult. ??There
18 >> are 10X as many files, and to change anything you edit a whole set of
19 >> configuration files and run a utility that generates _another_ set of
20 >> configuration files.
21 >>
22 >> Compared to "vi /boot/grub/menu.lst; reboot", that's complicated.
23 >>
24 >>> If you try to think in terms of legacy GRUB, you will have more
25 >>> problems than if you approach is as learning a new system.
26 >>
27 >> At first glace, grub2 looks like a minature Unix installation whose
28 >> purpose is to boot a bigger Unix installation. ??It's got it's own init
29 >> system and it's own set of init scripts.
30 >
31 > That it's not true. It connects to whatever init system do you have
32 > (OpenRC, SysV, systemd, Upstart),
33
34 I'm curious: what if you don't have one? I use grub-legacy to boot
35 stuff other than Unix.
36
37 > and it has scripts to *generate* the config file.
38 >
39 > The thing is that GRUB2 needs to understand several filesystems to
40 > grab the kernel image from.
41
42 I understand why GRUB2 is complicated. It's the statement that it's
43 not complicated that I was disagreeing with.
44
45 > It also wants to be able to use a more interesting resolution than
46 > 640x480.
47
48 That I don't understand. It's a bootloader. It needs to allow you to
49 pick one of a handfull of choices and boot that choice.
50
51 > This means that it has to reimplement all the code for any
52 > filesystem,
53
54 That part I understand.
55
56 > and all the code for video handling.
57
58 I don't really understand the need for that, but I'm somebody who
59 still regularly uses a serial console. [Insert the usual "I remember
60 when" grumbling here.]
61
62 [...]
63
64 > However, in the last LPC, it was suggested that replicating filesystem
65 > and video code on the kernel and grub was a terrible idea, and some
66 > developers have suggested to use a /firstboot partition with a simple
67 > filesystem, and populated with a kernel image and an initramfs. That
68 > will mean that to boot Linux, we would use Linux.
69
70 Yea, I've read about that. The mind wobbles. I suppose it's no worse
71 than VAXes having a PDP-11 inside to help it start up. [I'm not
72 really sure that's true, but I heard it from several people who should
73 have known.]
76 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! A dwarf is passing out
77 at somewhere in Detroit!
78 gmail.com