From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calibre and kindle
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:50:51
1 On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:21:03 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Has anyone had any success with app-text/calibre on Gentoo? On Ubuntu,
5 > it picks up that I've plugged in a device and happily allows me to
6 > manage it. On Gentoo, it doesn't seem to notice a thing. For now, it
7 > works fine as an ebook reader, but not so great for managing devices.
8 >
9 > $ eix calibre
10 > [I] app-text/calibre
11 > Available versions: 0.9.6 ~0.9.12 ~0.9.13 {{+udisks}}
12 > Installed versions: 0.9.6(05:46:37 PM 01/14/2013)(udisks)
13 > Homepage: http://calibre-ebook.com/
17 What kind of Kindle?
18
19 I use calibre here a lot on my Kobo and it JustWorksLikeItShould(tm).
20
21 The other half has a Kindle - the fancy one with backlit cover and full
22 physical qwerty keyboard and she says that one works just fine here too.
23
24 But, both the Kindle and the Kobo present as usb-storage devices.
25 Google says the new-fangled Kindles are MTP.
26
27 I'd say your problem is with mtp rather than calibre or Kindle. And to
28 fix that you need sys-fs/jmtpfs from poly-c overlay per a recent thread
29 here sometime in the last month
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com