From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 02:09:25
1 On 4/30/06, Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Jeff Rollin wrote:
3 > > I didn't say DG_DISABLE_DEBUG was a USE flag, I said it was a CFLAG. And it
4 > > improves the speed of KDE applications too
5 >
6 > Read your earlier post.. Anyway where is this CFLAGS 'DG_DISABLE_DEBUG'
7 > documented? I cant find any reference to it in man gcc. No usable
8 > results came up when i googled it..
9
10 I did some more digging on this. Actually it looks like
11 -DG_DISABLE_DEBUG won't have any effect on glib/gtk/gnome
12 applications. There is no such thing in /usr/include, or in the
13 current sources for glib or gtk.
14
15 There *is* G_ENABLE_DEBUG, which is only turned on if you merge glib
16 or gtk with USE=debug, which configures glib/gtk with "./configure ...
17 --enable-debug=yes ...". The default glib/gtk debug configuration is
18 minimum.
19
20 Glibc and gtk also support configuring with --enable-debug=no, which
21 adds -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT, -DG_DISABLE_CHECKS, and/or
22 -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS to CFLAGS when they are built. However, there
23 is no USE flag currently available to set --enable-debug=no. (If you
24 desire this, file a bug report on bugzilla for the feature
25 enhancement).
26
27 It is possible you could get the effect of --enable-debug=no by adding
28 -UG_DISABLE_ASSERT, -UG_DISABLE_CHECKS, and -UG_DISABLE_CAST to
29 CFLAGS, but it depends upon whether the package build takes
30 user-defined CFLAGS into account before or after ./configure defined
31 flags. If ./configure is added after the user flags, they will have
32 no effect. I have not investigated this at all...
33
34 Jeff, whoever told you that -DG_DISABLE_DEBUG did something was lying.
35 Current gtk and glibc sources know nothing about this flag.
36
37 -Richard
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list