From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mount umount and xterm freeze
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:14:28
1 I've been noticing the phenomena described below for a while now and
2 having a little trouble getting a good idea how to debug.
3
4 If I have mounted shares via smbfs or cifs and something happens to
5 make those mounts unusable, like the machine the shares are on is
6 powered down or whatever, then I have a problem.
7
8 If I happen to run a `ls' on the directory where the mountpoints are
9 kept (/mnt) or in other ways access those mountpoints, the xterm I'm
10 working from becomes unusable and the command NEVER completes.
11
12 These particular shares are on winXP machines and are mounted using
13 this syntax:
14
15 mount -t cifs -o user=MYUSER%PASSWORD //harvey/harvey-g /mnt/harvey-g
16
17 Attempts to umount the problem shares also results in a hung command
18 and useless xterm. Killing the xterm manually seems to be the only
19 way to stop the hung action.
20
21 So far I've used the old MS refrain `reboot, reboot, and reboot' to
22 clear up the mounts but I'm sure there is some better way or maybe a
23 way to prevent this from the start.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list