From: Fast Turtle <fturtle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 15:45:08
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:10:53 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On 26/05/2013 13:03, Dale wrote:
6 > >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 > >>> On 26/05/2013 11:51, Dale wrote:
8 > >>>
9 > >>>> What package provides the kicker thingy? I think in KDE3 it was called
10 > >>>> kicker but it appears to have changed to something else. Is that
11 > >>>> krunner that has it now?
12 > >>> Maybe it's time you used the "thingy" suffix a little less and the real
13 > >>> names of things a little more :-)
14 > >>>
15 > >>> What thing are you asking about? The panel that is usually at the bottom
16 > >>> and holds the plasma widgets? Or the thin popup you get with Alt-F2?
17 > >>>
18 > >>> The panel is called plasma-desktop and comes from kde-base/plasma-workspace
19 > >>> The popup is krunner and comes from kde-base/krunner
20 > >>>
21 > >>> I doubt very much it's a real bug as such in either KDE app (although
22 > >>> the fix might go in there). It looks much more to me like a side-effect
23 > >>> of IO blocking - two or more apps are trying to get something done and
24 > >>> unexpectedly are not getting answers, so they hang around waiting in the
25 > >>> doorway and get get in the way of everything else. And just for fun,
26 > >>> video drivers are also trying to get in on the act as they have to deal
27 > >>> with mouse pointer repaints...
28 > >>>
29 > >>> Debugging this one is going to be fun (for peculiar definitions of fun)
30 > >>>
31 > >>>
32 > >> The thingy is the thing at the bottom where I can switch desktops, click
33 > >> the K menu and where my clock is. I think it was called Kicker in
34 > >> KDE3. KDE4 seems to have changed it but not sure what the new name is.
35 > > It's a plasma widget called a panel, the only useful thing it does is to
36 > > be a container for other widgets that do useful stuff.
37 > >
38 > > The panel is started by plasma-desktop as one of the standard widgets it
39 > > manages. The idea is to give you stuff on the screen that looks more or
40 > > less like a familiar desktop. Plasma can do other things and give you
41 > > completely different layouts; like for instance not giving you a panel
42 > > at all. This would be useful on a phone with small screen
43 > >
44 > > The whole thing is heavily event based and has to react to a bucket load
45 > > of system events being generated such as what the mouse is doing.
46 > > There's a fantastic number of ways this could go wrong, some might be
47 > > plasma's fault, some might be faults that happen to plasma
50 > I'll try to remember to call it a panel thingy then. ROFL
53 > >> I hope they fix this thing soon. If they remove the driver from the
54 > >> tree, I'm in a bit of a pickle.
55 > > No, you won't be. You have the ebuild right now, copy it to your overlay
56 > > and "remove" becomes something that will not happen
61 > Last time I did that, it didn't work out well. Actually, it just plain
62 > didn't work. May as well tell it like it is. ;-) I'll save a copy
63 > just in case.
64 >
65 > Cross that bridge when I get there I guess.
66 >
67 > Dale
68 >
70 >
71 > --
72 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
75 I suspect it's the fact your using the ~arch version of kde (4.10.3) is not fully stable yet and yes there be bugs in them valleys.