From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] insane backends
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 06:45:52
1 Further to the thread re mysterious behaviour of 'sane-backends',
2 I remembered what happened when I set my new scanner up earlier in 2017.
3
4 There is no driver in 'sane-backends', because it contains a binary blob.
5 You have to download an appropriate pkg for the V550 from Epson,
6 which provides installers for Debian or RPM.
7 Presumably one of those worked with Gentoo
8 & that's where the 'epkowa' driver came from in /usr/lib64/sane/ .
9
10 So relieved that I'd got it working, I failed to update my notes,
11 which I've now done. Thanks for Neil's suggestions.
15 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
16 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
17 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca