From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:08:21
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/28/2010 04:36 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
4 >>> Dale schrieb am 28.08.2010 13:13:
5 >>>> P. S. Any way to label swap? It's not reiserfs or ext*.
6 >>>>
7 >>> It is swap :)
8 >>>
9 >>> swappoff -a
10 >>> mkswap -L label device
11 >>> swapon -a
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> I found that later while reading some other man page. I got to look into
15 >> that swapon -a option tho. Never seen that before. I think I know what
16 >> it is tho.
17 >
18 > It enabled the swap. The boot init scripts automatically do a swapon
19 > -a when you boot. But since you need to do a swappoff -a first and
20 > disable the swap in order to recreate it, you need to enable it again
21 > manually with swapon -a if you don't reboot.
24 It's been a while since I read the man page for swapon/off. I don't
25 remember seeing it before but that does save me from typing in a longer
26 command. I sometimes want to clear out swap, after compiling OOo or
27 something, and that is a bit easier to do.
28
29 Neat tip. Thanks.
30
31 Dale