From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA - No Sound
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:46:23
1 dhk wrote:
2 > On 01/23/2011 07:20 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> dhk wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 01/23/2011 06:10 AM, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hazen Valliant-Saunders wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> Alsaconf will probe the right module for you.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> have you run alsamixer? (Or gmixer or whichever mixer you like to
15 >>>>> unumte the channels with?)
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> You need to unmute the channells;
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>>
21 >>>> I will add this. It seems every time I do a install, I have to unmute
22 >>>> the sound with both alsa and Kmix to get sound. I assume alsa controls
23 >>>> the card itself and kmix is sort of like software. You may have hit
24 >>>> something similar here. If even one thing is muted, no sound. Finding
25 >>>> them all is fun tho.
26 >>>>
27 >>>> Dale
28 >>>>
29 >>>> :-) :-)
30 >>>>
31 >>>>
32 >>>>
33 >>>>
34 >>> I had all the channels unmuted. I ran alsamixer and
35 >>> gnome-volume-control to unmute and to verify, but still no sound. In
36 >>> the /etc/make.conf I have ALSA_CARDS="AC97" set, but I don't think that
37 >>> matters according to the documentation.
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >>>
41 >> Does lspci -k show it is using some sort of driver? Mine for example
42 >> shows this:
43 >>
44 >> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)
45 >> Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 069a
46 >> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
47 >>
48 >> If yours doesn't show a kernel driver in use, then it is likely a driver
49 >> problem. If it does show one, make sure it is the correct one. I
50 >> usually use this as a guide:
51 >>
52 >> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
53 >>
54 >> Just run the lspci -n command and paste it in there. It works well. If
55 >> it shows it is loading the correct driver, something is muted somewhere
56 >> or maybe it is as simple as you have the speakers plugged into the wrong
57 >> plug. I did that once on my first build. I had two green plugs. Sort
58 >> of got the wrong one. ;-)
59 >>
60 >> I can't think of anything else at the moment.
61 >>
62 >> Dale
63 >>
64 >> :-) :-)
68 > It looks like it's got a driver from the following:
69 > 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
70 > AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
71 > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
72 > Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
73 > Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
74 >
75 > The full output is below.
76 >
77 > # lspci -k
78 > <<SNIP>>
79 > 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
80 > AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
81 > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
82 > Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
83 > Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
86 From that, I would think it is working driver and hardware wise, key
87 word is think. The only things I can think of is something somewhere is
88 muted or plugged up wrong. Do you have something like this:
89
90 root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/snd/
91 total 0
92 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 420 Jan 22 00:44 .
93 drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4380 Jan 22 00:45 ..
94 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Jan 22 00:44 by-path
95 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 10 Jan 22 00:44 controlC0
96 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 19 Jan 22 00:44 controlC1
97 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Jan 22 00:44 hwC0D0
98 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 18 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D0
99 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 17 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D1
100 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D2
101 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 15 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D3
102 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D0c
103 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Jan 23 06:37 pcmC0D0p
104 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D1c
105 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D1p
106 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D2c
107 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 14 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D3p
108 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 13 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D7p
109 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 12 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D8p
110 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 11 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D9p
111 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Jan 22 00:44 seq
112 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Jan 22 00:44 timer
113 root@fireball / #
114
115 Yours may vary a bit so it is just something to compare too. I think we
116 are using different cards but some should look the same. I list those
117 because my sound works here.
118
119 Can I also assume you have checked to make sure you are in the right
120 groups for sound? I would think audio would be the only one needed but
121 since we are grasping at straws, compare to this:
122
123 root@fireball / # cat /etc/group | grep dale
124 tty::5:nut,dale
125 lp::7:lp,dale
126 wheel::10:root,dale
127 uucp::14:uucp,nut,dale
128 audio::18:dale
129 cdrom::19:haldaemon,dale
130 dialout::20:root,dale
131 video::27:root,dale
132 usb::85:haldaemon,dale
133 users::100:games,dale
134 utmp:x:406:dale
135 lpadmin:x:106:dale
136 games:x:35:dale
137 plugdev:x:999:haldaemon,dale
138 dale:x:1000:
139 nut:x:84:nut,dale
140 wireshark:x:993:dale
141 root@fireball / #
142
143 Again, yours may vary but it may help. This may not help but at least
144 you can be pretty sure of what it is not. When working on something
145 like this, am I the only one that feels like Sherlock Holmes? lol
146
147 Dale
148