From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:05:38
1 ...
2 > Setting up some peristent udev rules keyed on a NIC's MAC address will
3 > help keep things orderly for you.
4
5 I deleted the persistent-net.rules file and rebooted and everything
6 came up properly numbered. eth0 was being renamed to eth1 previously
7 because I had used that hard drive on a different motherboard.
8
9 >>  My laptop's
10 >> r8169 eth0 appears under ifconfig even when there's no ethernet cable
11 >> attached.  That's the expected behavior isn't it?
12 >
13 > Sure; ifconfig will even tell you if the link is up or down. Just
14 > because the link is down doesn't mean the interface isn't there. :)
15
16 I see eth0 under ifconfig on my laptop but not on my desktop.
17 Strangely, on my desktop eth0 does appear under iwconfig (no wireless
18 extensions). dmesg pertaining to eth0 and r8169 looks normal. lspci
19 -v says:
20
21 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
22 Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
23 ...
24 Kernel driver in use: r8169
25