From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-util/autotoolset
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 10:06:59
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 10:25 on Tuesday 05 October 2010, dhk did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > What should I do about dev-util/autotoolset? I use it every day for a
5 > project, but today it looks like I'm being told to remove it. What is
6 > the alternative?
7 >
8 > In my package.keywords file I have "dev-util/autotoolset ~amd64"
9 > unmasked since I use autotools for a project.
10 >
11 > After the output of "emerge -uDNp world" this morning the following
12 > message is displayed.
13 >
14 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
15 > - dev-util/autotoolset-0.11.4-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
16 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
17 > # Diego E. Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> (04 Oct 2010)
18 > # on behalf of QA team
19 > #
20 > # Ironically, it is misusing autotools (bug #255831). It was
21 > # added in 2004 and never version bumped since; autotools
22 > # have since evolved a fair amount, while this is based
23 > # still on automake 1.6. Avoid keeping it around.
24 > #
25 > # Removal on 2010-12-03
26 >
27 > For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
28 > man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
29 >
30 > As stated above, what should I "Avoid keeping it around?" Is it
31 > autotoolset, automake 1.6, ...? Also, what's getting removed on
32 > 2010-12-03? If autotoolset is removed, what should be used to build
33 > projects?
34
35 The text applies to autotoolset and the reason it is being removed. It is
36 autotoolset that is not being kept around anymore.
37
38 It's actually quite obvious once you calm down, get over your fright, and read
39 the message.
40
41 You do not need autotoolset to build projects. You need autotools which is not
42 the same thing.
43
44 > Even though I have autotoolset installed, search shows it as being masked.
45 >
46 > # emerge --search autotoolset
47 > Searching...
48 > [ Results for search key : autotoolset ]
49 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
50 >
51 > * dev-util/autotoolset [ Masked ]
52 > Latest version available: 0.11.4-r1
53 > Latest version installed: 0.11.4-r1
54 > Size of files: 1,133 kB
55 > Homepage: http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/
57 > development with autotools
58 > License: GPL-2
61 > What to do now?
62
63 Why are you worried? You use autotools not autotoolset. Let the thing be
64 removed, After 6 years of no updates you shouldn't be using it anyway.
69 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com